UF Named Facilities
Emerson Alumni Hall
William "Bill" and Jane Emerson epitomize the Gator spirit. Bill Emerson arrived at the University of Florida in June 1941 at the end of the Great Depression and in the midst of World War II. Just six months later, the bombing of Pearl Harbor spurred Bill to join the Marines. After serving his duty, the war veteran returned to UF and picked up where he left off. He became a beneficiary of the GI Bill of Rights, a federal program that assisted returning veterans with education, home purchases and business start-ups. Bill and Jane lived on campus in the original Flavet housing structure until Bill graduated in 1946 with his business degree.
After college, Bill joined Merrill Lynch and served as their senior vice president and national sales director for approximately 40 years. Thereafter, he served as a director of Merrill Lynch Trust Company.
The Emersons have supported UF for years, and the university is fortunate to have such dedicated Gators. Five of their grandchildren attended UF. Mrs. Emerson attended UF in the summer of 1941 when women were allowed.
The 60,000-square-feet facility, Emerson Alumni Hall, opened in 2002 and houses state-of-the-art classrooms, seminar space, libraries, study lounges and a gift shop. Emerson Alumni Hall is open to alumni, faculty, retired faculty and students.